Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Plants vs. Zombies Ambassador PopCap Stephanie's Avatar

Bejeweled Blitz Tips, Tricks & Strategies

Have a Bejeweled Blitz tip that makes your score soar? Share it here in this thread!

The gameplay trick I rely on is to look for matches from the bottom first, that way the gems will cascade, fall into place and I get that extra split second to scan the board and look for my next match.

What is your winning strategy?

Re: Bejeweled Blitz Tips, Tricks & Strategies

When looking at a Bejeweled Blitz board, I think of splitting the board into 4 quadrants. Keep your eyes on the bottom two quadrants trying to make as many vertical combinations as possible first then horizontal second. If you cannot find any easy matches in the bottom quadrants, then start checking the top two. I say vertical moves first because from what I've seen those moves cascade gems into bigger combinations than horizontally.

*Also, use the hint button! It doesn't hurt your score and helps you quickly get back into the game.

*Try different combinations of light and sound. Do you play better with the lights off or listening to other music?

Just like every Bejeweled Blitz board is different, so is each player. The best advice I could give is to KEEP PLAYING!
    Last edited by PopCap_T-Ray; 08-30-2011 at 10:03 AM.

I TOTALLY play with the sound off. For me, it's too distracting and adds to the pressure I already feel trying to get a higher score. :P

A couple of tips:

Never watch the gems dropping, move your mouse and eyes to a different area, you'll be up to blazing speed faster - It's quite possible to get 3 blazing speeds in your minute, possibly more.

If you have hypercubes or flashing gems, try and wait until your speed is high (1,000) before detonating them. You'll get 1,000 per gem destroyed, so 16,000 points from the L or T gems, and 9,000 from the other flashing gem, and almost countless from a hypercube if you get the colour right... But don't be fooled by the reds, they appear (as they are a brighter colour) as if they are all over the board, but the likelihood is that they aren't, it's more an optical illusion.

Someone mentioned the hint button, as long as you are quick, your running speed score can be kept, so the split second you hit the button, move your eyes back to cover the whole board, remember that the chances are the hint will be at the top, so while making that move, really scan the lower gems.

Also for anyone new to the game, you don't need to click both of the gems you wish to move, click the first and drag it across. This also allows you to get to the next move faster as you're already on the way from the initial drag.

Now as I'm English, I know some of our words have different meanings to you, so I'm hoping none of those are, and that it all makes sense!

I totally agree with Chris.

My tip for better learning Blitz is: when i lost speed bonus, the game is irrelevant now, because my score cannot be high. Its better to stop and reset that game and start play again. Its not too hard to learn moves to preserve speed bonus, but it need to find combination of gems faster.

Blitz is definitely about speed! I know I sometimes watch the gems drop and I have to stop myself and go no! Look around the rest of the board first!

I don't get blazing speed with every match - I get blazing speed more often when I am not as focused on the being fast. I hope that makes sense!

Zombie Temp Worker

I agree with everyone else about not watching the gem drop. I also try to plan moves so that I am making the next one while the previous one is dropping. I do better when I am on the phone and not so tense about my speed that I fumble!

I have a question, are you more concerned with making just a regular 3-gem match or do you take that extra split second to try and make larger matches?

I find that sometimes when I am moving TOO fast, I miss out on the opportunity to make a star gem, just because I was so focused on getting blazing speed!

Do most people try to use their flame/star/hyper gems asap, or do you try to save them until you've got a few multiplier gems under your belt first?

I tend to use the special gems pretty quickly.
    Occassionally I'll save hypercubes.
    But the hint about about waiting for the +1000 is good. Something I hadn't thought off.

Eyes moving is my best tip. If you are watching the explosions/graphics you are wasting time.
    Also you can move gems while others are matching.
    I think the only time this isn't the case is hypercubes. But at least the clock stops for those. That is when you should be scanning for matches and don't stop at just the first match you see. Then you are ready right when the hypercube ends. This means hypercubes can be strategic in that you can use them to give you a slight pause to find matches.

For matches I tend to focus on those that match two sets of gems. I often kick myself for missing the "best" match.

I've heard the advice to restart the game if you get stuck at the top making single matches. But I usually play through most games in order to get coins and work towards the next level (126 currently).