Rainbow Chuzzle

Plants vs. Zombies on Mac OS X Lion

Hi, sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't find the answer...

I'm trying to run Plants vs. Zombies (purchased from Steam) in my MacBook Pro (Intel HD Graphics 3000). The game loads OK from Steam (so it's not a Steam problem), then the "Loading" screen appears, but after loading around 75%, the game simply quits without any messages.

Any help I can get?
    My system runs Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3. It's a 2.4 GHz Core i5 with 4 GiB of DDR3 RAM and a 384MB shared DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU.

Thank you!

PS: By the way... as a suggestion, you should take care of your Steam buyers more often. I first bought this game on Steam for Widnows (which I loved to play)... and it's SO fun. Then I bought it on the Apple AppStore for my iPhone 4 and I love it too... but why the Steam version NEVER gets updated but the AppStore version does often? It's not fair...

Rainbow Chuzzle
    Nobody?

Re: Plants vs. Zombies on Mac OS X Lion

Hi there,

Have you tried deleting and redownloading the game through Steam?

As for updates, the game sold through Steam is the standard PC/Mac version of the game, just as we offer on PopCap.com and on retail CD-ROM. There are no plans to update the game. The iOS version was released with fewer features, so updates have been made that bring that version closer to the PC/Mac version over time.

If you continue to have trouble with your game, please file a help ticket on support.popcap.com.

Rainbow Chuzzle

Hi, thank you for your answer.

Yes, I tried several times to delete and re-download the game through Steam, but it simply doesn't work. I also verified the game's files cache, but it says it's OK.
    I also tried to disable Steam Cloud support and the same issue: The game opens, the "loading" screen with the title appears. About 75% it quits without any messages.

I believe this is not the last version of the game, because I found some info in Google that there is another version that runs flawlessly in OSX Lion.

I just submitted the help ticket, thank you again!

Rainbow Chuzzle

Ok, this is really frustrating.
    I can't understand why you can't update the Steam version of PvZ to the version that runs on Lion.

The PopCap support offered me to give a link to download the Mac version (the same that you buy from PopCap.com and, yes, that with activation limit), but it isn't what I bought in Steam (Steam achievements, Steam Cloud and stuff like that). This is really bulls**t.

Come on, PopCap, do your work well. There are still people buying your games from Steam and/or Apple Store and they can't play them. Be professional.

The second answer from the PopCap support (after I wrote about Steam achievements and stuff) was:
    Last edited by Alejandro Iv; 04-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Rainbow Chuzzle

"Hola,

Lamento mucho este problema.

Me temo que desde PopCap no podemos acceder a la aplicacion de Steam. El error puede estar causado por algun tipo de incompatibilidad entre dicha version y la forma de interactuar con su sistema.

Si tienes cualquier pregunta o comentario, envianos un correo electronico."

Translation:

"Hello,

I'm really sorry for this problem.

I'm afraid that PopCap can't access the Steam application. The error can be caused from some kind of incompatibility between that version and the way to interact with your system.

If you have any question of comments, send us an email."

Rainbow Chuzzle

Ok, I FINALLY managed to make it work.

I believe it's a problem with Steam Cloud downloading some savegame files created in the Windows version and it resulted in constant crashes.

What did I do (this has to be done in Mac OS X Lion):

0. Close Steam.
    1. In the Desktop (finder), click the "Go" menu and then "Go to folder".
    2. Type ~/Library/Application Support/Steam
    3. Click "Go".

This will take you to the Steam files in your personal library folder, so:

4. Delete all files inside this folder, EXCEPT for the SteamApps folder.
    5. Restart your computer.
    6. Launch Steam.
    7. Right click (a.k.a. click with two fingers) Plants vs. Zombies: GOTY in your Steam library and go to properties.
    8. In the "Updates" tab (I don't know if this is the exact name, I use Steam in Spanish... it's the second tab), DISABLE the Steam Cloud synchronization (this is the trick).
    9. Open the game. It should ask you if you want to use Steam Cloud or Local Saves. CHOOSE LOCAL SAVES AND CREATE YOUR NEW PROFILE.
    10. Quit Plants vs Zombies.
    11. Enable Steam Cloud sync again in the game properties.
    12. Re-open Plants vs. Zombies.
    13. It will ask you if you want to use the Steam Cloud savegame version or the local one. Choose the local one and it will replace the Steam Cloud one. You should be able to play again!

PLEASE NOTE: This will delete every save in the Steam Cloud savegame file, a.k.a. you will have to start the game from the beginning. You will probably keep only your achievements (because they are synced with Steam Achievements).

Hope this helps. I managed to do this thanks to the Steam Support that told me to delete all files in the folder and re-test.

P.S: If you have any game in the "paused downloading" state, simply right-click it and press "continue update".
    Last edited by Alejandro Iv; 05-01-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm sure it will be helpful for other players!